No running this week as I waited to see how bad the grumpy achilles & fractured hand are bearing up. The good news is that the achilles has got a lot better with some rest. The less good news is the hand is still pretty sore.
I’m all strapped up like Dennis The Menace in my fancy splint which was custom-made for me by a lovely hand therapist at UCLH. I even had a choice of blue, red or neon-pink velcro.
I’m going to attempt my first run with it tomorrow, I’m super-conscious that my balance won’t be what it was, and the jarring probably won’t do it much good.
Running impairment aside, these are some more fundamental things I’ve also found difficult this week:
- Turning socks inside out
- Putting socks on once you have made them the right way round
- Doing up button-fly jeans (especially with my little mid-twenties paunch…)
- Taking the lid off marmalade
- Cracking open an egg in one piece
- Eating porridge without spilling all over myself
- Cutting up food (thanks to all who have helped in this matter this week!)
As it’s been quite a mentally and physically tough week – more so than any other week so far, I’ve decided to try and boost my morale a bit by setting up my fundraising page.
Please, please sponsor me – I’m raising money for Shelter, whose good work for the homeless has always filled me with admiration. Hearing the stories of people they help only serves to put my minor injury into perspective and strengthen my resolve to complete the marathon and hit my fundraising target.